7/23/13 - Pinnacles National Park, CA

We left San Luis Obispo this morning and headed for Pinnacles National Monument & Park.  On the way we stopped at Mission San Miguel Archangel north of Paso Robles.  Then we drove to Mission San Antonio de Padua south of King City.  To get to this mission you have to drive into Fort Hunter Liggett.  This is a combat support training army post.  Next we drove to Mission Nuestra Senora de la Soledad.  This mission was almost completely rebuilt as you can see in a 1952 picture how it had deteriorated.

We had to backtrack through King City to get to the road to take us to Pinnacles.  I am sitting here watching 13 quail forage through the grass outside of the Casita.  It’s 94 degrees at 4:30 so I’m glad we have an electrical hookup.  There is a swimming pool.  We have no phone service or internet so we will update the blog when we leave here.

Before we got here my phone showed I had three missed calls.  Two calls were from my son and one was from the nursing home.  When we got here I tried to use the pay phone but I couldn’t get it to work any way I tried it.  I couldn’t even get an operator when dialing O.  The ranger let me use his land line to call the nursing home.  Thank goodness it wasn’t anything bad and I told the nurse to tell mom it would be a couple days before I talked to her.

We saw about 20 turkeys at camp this evening.  As it began to get dark, Jim and I were outside with some wine and a coyote walked out a field behind the trailer and crossed the street by us.  A covey of quail were fussing and chasing him off.  He just ignored the quail.  Just after 11 pm were heard some coyotes yipping somewhere around the campground.


No comments:

Post a Comment